St. Mary's Catholic Church
Backstory and Context
St. Mary’s Congregation was formed in 1876 as an alternative to the quickly growing St. Patrick’s Church, located in the Fourth Ward of the city. St. Mary’s started off in a small wooden building in 1876, but in 1902, constructed the church still standing today. Mark Kemp, an architect from Beloit, is credited with the design and construction of the church. St. Mary’s School was developed in 1913 and, in 1928, construction of the school was finished.