The collections continued to grow during the following years and by 1905 the Portland Art Museum was in need of a larger space. The SW 5th and Taylor location provided the museum with its own space and by 1908 an original piece of artwork was added to the collection. The museum played a key role in introducing northwesterners to modern art.
The museum moved once again to its current location at 1219 SW Park Avenue in late 1932. The building was designed by architect Pietro Belluschi. Additions were added over time to allow for its growing collection and expanding needs. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The building was refurbished in the early 1990s allowing it to host different and bigger traveling exhibitions.
For many years the museum was known as the Portland Art Association and for a while the Oregon Art Institute. It was in 1992 that it officially became the Portland Art Museum.