The Alibi Club is a private gentleman's club located in Washington, D.C. The Club itself is an exclusive, private affair, whose members consist largely of prominent men in Washington, D.C. society. Originally located on 17th and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, the current building, merely a few blocks away from the White House, served as the Club's active location beginning in 1886 up until the present.
Backstory and Context
Through its time active, the Alibi Club has hosted members identifying as distinguished civic leaders, philanthropists, Washington corporate leaders, presidents, and numerous other high-ranking men in Washingtonian society. Though access to the club is almost entirely restricted to members, guests are occasionally permitted in special cases. In cases such as this, the club has played host to world leaders, such as King Leopold and Prince Albert of Belgium, as well as Prince Henry of Prussia. Some American members have included: John Foster Dulles, George H.W. Bush, General George C. Marshall and Allen Dulles.
The building housing the Alibi Club appears to be an unassuming brick rowhouse. Little has been done to modify the exterior of the building, and as such, it retains an architectural look reminiscent of the other historical buildings surrounding it. The interior of the clubhouse holds numerous rooms of varying decor, ranging from a dining room with a tavern serving table to a smaller room filled with Japanese wall scrolls. In short, the Alibi Club, though it appears to be a simple rowhouse on Eye Street, holds within it a vast variety of rooms and accommodations for its prestigious members.