Burritt on the Mountain is the result of Dr. William Henry Burritt bequeathing his home and surrounding 167-acre pristine, mountain-top estate to the City of Huntsville in 1955. Since that time, his residence has been meticulously restored, a Historic Park has been created and continually augmented, and Nature Trails have been established and enhanced for the benefit and usage of the public.
Inventor and physician, Dr. William Henry Burritt was set to
move into his mountain-top home in 1936. It burned that day. So he set about
building a new home in the same location. The present mansion was finished in
1938. Concrete and concrete-fiber-reinforced shingles replaced much of the wood
in the original design. Burritt lived in the home until his death in 1955.The mansion, built in a Neo-Classical Revival style, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Burritt was concerned that Huntsville’s change and growth
would impact its woodland habitats, he donated the house and entire property to
the city to be used as park space. The home was the city’s first museum. Now
the home serves as a museum with some of the original furnishings, exhibition
galleries and some of Burritt’s personal artifacts.
Visitors to the mansion and surrounding property can get a
glimpse of history and life of the region. The park itself serves as a living
history of farming in the 19th century. Guests will find interpreters
in period attire demonstrating the skills and techniques of the time period.