Village of Mt. Pleasant Historic District
Union Street in Mount Pleasant, the center of the historical district.
Backstory and Context
Mount Pleasant is located in the southwestern corner of Jefferson County mere miles from Belmont and Harrison. It was established in 1803 by two men, one of which was Quaker, the other a Seceder Presbyterian. The two religions had common beliefs, in particular the abolition of slavery. The village and neighboring communities were a hotbed for abolitionists and had many stations on the Underground Railroad.
The Historical Society of Mount Pleasant, Ohio, founded in 1947, is one of the oldest active historical organizations in the state of Ohio. For over 40 years we have owned and maintained five of the most notable buildings in the Village. Each of which operates as a museum: The ca. 1804 Harris-Bone log cabin; the ca. 1835 Elizabeth House Mansion Museum; the ca. 1840 Historical Center; the ca. 1895 Burriss General Store; and the ca. 1840 Tin Shop. We continually make these buildings available to the public through tours and special events. We also serve as steward and managing entity of the Quaker Yearly Meeting House ca 1814 and Free Labor Store owned by the Ohio History Connection. The Free Labor Store, known locally as the Lundy House, is perhaps the sole remaining building in the country that served as a Free Labor Store. Free Labor designated products that were made by free men, nothing made by slave labor. These properties, and 35 more have secured Mount Pleasant’s designation as a National Historic Landmark District.
The Mount Pleasant Historical Society offers Underground Railroad walking tours which include tours of several houses within the district. Call 1-800-752-2631 for further information.
Angela Feenerty, president of the Historical Society of Mt Pleasant, Ohio, inc