After these payments expired, Indians stopped coming and the original need for the dormitory ended. From 1867-1960, it was used as a public school. The Parks Commission bought it a few years later and opened it as a museum of Native American culture in 1966. It remained as such until 2003 when it was decided that the museum's interpretation of these cultures was outdated and inaccurate. The current museum then opened in 2010.