First Presbyterian Church
Built in 1915, the First Presbyterian Church of Charleston was designed by architects Weber, Werner and Adkins. Its exterior design was modeled after Standford White's masterpiece church located in Madison Square, New York City. The inside of the church is modeled after the design of Saint Marco's Cathedral in Venice, Italy.
First Presbyterian Church view from the front
Map of interior
Watercolor of church by Paul R. Klein
Backstory and Context
The exterior of the 1915 church is white Bedford stone and terra cotta, with bronze green tile dome and terra cotta lantern above. The spacious auditorium has four great arches, carrying a pendentive dome fifty-two feet in diameter. The ceiling and dome are done in antique gold, the decoration being a modern imitation of the ancient mosaics of the Old World.