John T. Windle Memorial Auditorium
Built in 1835, it is the first example of Greek Classic work in Madison, it is also the oldest public building in Madison. Designed by Edwin J. Peck for the Second Presbyterian Church, it is now owned by Historic Madison, Inc.
Backstory and Context
The main floor serves as an auditorium in which stands the original 1867 Johnson tracker organ, Opus 217. The downstairs basement area, originally the hall, is now the HMI offices. The building was also used for a short time as a funeral home in the 1930s.
Historic Madison, Inc. Glimpses, Jefferson County Historical Society The Early Architecture of Madison, Indiana, John T. Windle