Jefferson County Civil War Monument
Erected to the everlasting of soldiers of Jefferson County from 1861-1865. Given by George Middleton and located on the site of the former City Market.
Backstory and Context
According to old records, the monument was an idea that the people of Madison considered for a long period of time. Instructions for a monument were issued in 1890, and and 26 were erected in such places as New York, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Chicago, Philadelphia, Westerly (RI), South Quincy (MA), Indianapolis, etc.