The Belmont Mansion stands on the highest point in Eastern Loudoun County in Ashburn, Virginia. Built between 1799-1800, Belmont is known for its 18th century architectural design, lavish entertainment, and its famous guests. The Belmont Plantation / Mansion has was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1976. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places with the United States Department of the Interior. The Mansion was purchased and restored by the Toll Brothers Inc., and is used as a clubhouse in their gated golf community.
Ludwell Lee, son of Richard Hennery Lee who was one of the
signers of the Declaration of Independence, built the Mansion between 1799-1803.
This Mansion housed President James Madison who frequently used the Manor as a
safe haven during the War of 1812. Another prominent figure that often visited
the Manor was Gilbert Du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette. Lafayette served within
the Continental Army under George Washington during the American Revolutionary War and was leader of the Garde Nationale during the French Revolution. The
fireplaces located in the Manor’s East and West reception room are said to be
gifts to Lee from Lafayette in 1825.
After Ludwell’s death, Margaret Mercer purchased the 400
acres of Belmont to transform the house into a Women’s Christian School. The
acreage had appeal because she wanted to emphasize the importance of
agriculture at her new Belmont Academy. She also worked for the county’s
controversial colonization society which was a branch of the American
Colonization Society, whose aim was to purchase the freedom of slaves and
resettle them in Africa. Miss Mercer died of tuberculosis in 1846, but the
school continued under Mr. and Mrs. Kephart.
In 1887 the property was sold to Mr. Frederick P. Stanton,
the ex-governor of Kansas. 1915 the McLean Family bought the property. The Edward
B. McLean was the son of John McLean, the owner-publisher of the Washington
Post Newspaper. The family also owned the Hope Diamond, a 45.25 deep blue
diamond which is now at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in D.C. They
also brought foxhunting and horse racing as a means of entertainment to the
In 1932 Patrick Hurley, Secretary of War under President
Hoover, purchased the Manor and made it his residence until 1964. The
international Business Machines Corporation bought the Manor from Mr. And Mrs.
George C. Clarke, retaining a life interest in the house in concern for its
preservation. However, during the 1980s the manor required vast renovations due
to years of neglect and extensive interior damage.
In 1995, Toll Brothers Inc. purchased Belmont Manor and
restored it to its original condition. Toll Brothers and Belmont Country Club preserved the original history along with its
ornate federal style features. The Belmont Manor is now used
for activities such as weddings and dining. Visitors can walk
through the Mansion and see the restored Manor.