The Grand Island Harbor Rear Range Light, along with its front range light, helped vessels navigate in and out of South Bay to reach the town of Munising. The lights were constructed in 1914 with steel, replacing a wooden pair built in 1868 that had by that time rotted away. The rear light stands at 69 feet tall, making it one of the tallest riveted steel light towers on the Great Lakes. Though the lights were deactivated in 1969, they are representative of the time period when safe navigation on the dangerous and unpredictable waters of Lake Superior was paramount. It is possible to take short hikes to both the rear light, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, and the shorter front light from Hwy 28.