First Site of Marquette College, 1881
Backstory and Context
In 1856, the diocese gave use of the land to the Jesuits through a deed of trust, meaning they had an obligation to begin building the college on the hill overlooking Milwaukee. The Jesuits bought the rest of the block during the 1860s, and in 1868, the diocese gave up ownership of the original plot of land to the Jesuits. The Jesuits built a church on the land in 1875 and on August 28, 1881, Marquette College was established.
The college opened its doors on September 5, 1881, with 35 students paying $60 tuition per semester. Marquette College offered two curricula: an academic course of study that followed the Ratio Studiorum and a commercial course. The Ratio Studiorum was a seven year Jesuit education program that was split into two phases: academic (three years) and collegiate (four years). The commercial course offered a certificate in management but was offered only as a high school course. By the end of the first school year, a total of 77 students had registered for classes. The college began growing slowly and saw its first graduates in 1887. By 1907, the college joined with the Milwaukee Medical College and became Marquette University. The collegiate level classes were moved to Johnston Hall, located at 12th and Wisconsin, while the medical classes were located at the hospital at 9th and Wells. The high school department remained on the old campus until moving to its new building at 35th and Wisconsin in 1935.
Currently, the block that Marquette College once occupied is home to an overpass for Highway 43 and the Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility at 1015 N. 10th Street. The legacy of Marquette College lives on in the mission, achievements, and alumni of Marquette University.