The Houghton County Historical Museum is located on the grounds of what was once the largest copper mining complex in North America, owned and operated by the Calumet & Hecla Mining Company. The company was founded in 1865 and grew to become the biggest producer of copper in the world. The museum is dedicated to promoting the company's mining history as well as the logging and cultural history of this part of Michigan. Some of the company's buildings still stand in the complex including the mining office, which is now the museum building, and the Firehall, which serves as the museum annex. The museum offers rides around the site on a vintage narrow gauge train that was once owned by the company. There is also a restored log cabin and a schoolhouse at the museum. And nearby is the Heritage Center, formerly the First Congregational Church that was built in 1888. It is used for meetings and events run by the museum


  • The Houghton County Historical Museum (the former Mill Office)
    The Houghton County Historical Museum (the former Mill Office)
  • The Heritage Center
    The Heritage Center
http://www.houghtonhistory.org/index.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calumet_and_Hecla_Mining_Company