The Keweenaw County Historical Society, established in 1981, operates several museums and three of them are located at this location on the western side of Eagle Harbor and one is directly across the harbor.
The site's focal point is the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, which was built in 1871, replacing the first one that was constructed in 1851. The museum inside recounts the 129 years the light was operated by keepers before being finally automated in 1980 (the light is maintained by the Coast Guard as it is still a navigational aid). The Keweenaw Historical Museum is located in the former Coast Guard Garage building, which was moved to the site from its original location on the east side of the harbor. The museum delves into the mining, shipping and tourist industries that have driven the local economy. The third museum on the site is the Commercial Fishing Museum, which explores the various ways fishing has shaped local history. The fourth museum is the Eagle Harbor Life-Saving Station Museum and this is the one located on the other side of the harbor. The building was constructed in 1912 by the predecessor to the Coast Guard and operated through WWII. The museum features several boats and other equipment the Coast Guard used. The famous 1913 rescue of the crew of the ship, the Waldo, is also recounted.
The lighthouse and life-saving station buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.