John Mark Verdier House
The John Mark Verdier House is a historic home in Beaufort that was built by its namesake around 1804. Verdier was a French Huguenot and wealthy merchant and planter, who first traded indigo then acquired land to grow cotton. The house is operated by the Historic Beaufort Foundation, which was established in 1965. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the house exemplifies Beaufort's prosperity during the early 19th century as well as the wealthy planter class during that period.