As Hunting Island was situated roughly thirty-five miles from the coastal lights at Charleston to the north and on Tybee Island to the south, a major light there would help fulfill the goal of having no dark voids along the coast. Hunting Island received its name due to the island being a hunting preserve for the upper class during the 1800s and early 1900s. Animals hunted on the island included deer, waterfowl, raccoon, and other small animals.
It stands 136 feet tall and was built with cast-iron segments so that it could be moved if necessary, which did occur in 1889 when it was moved one mile east on the beach. The original location of the lighthouse is now underwater due to the constant erosion of the beach.
This lighthouse was not the last one standing, the first one was destroyed by the Confederates during the beginning of the Civil War to prevent the Union from using it as a recourse of navigation to help them out. When 1875 came along, it was fortunately rebuilt and put back into service. Now it is the only lighthouse in South Carolina open to the public.