The Rosenwald Coinjock Colored School #7
This is the old location site of the school house before it was moved on April 12, 2016.
The Rosenwald School house sits perfectly today in its new location next to Currituck BBQ Restaurant. The school will be restored back to its original glory and will be a African-American History Museum as well as a Old Country Store.
This is a map of the schools all across the southern half of the United States. The shaded areas is locations of Rosenwald School houses. Credit: Russell Brooker, PhD
These are similar plans to the School house. There hasn't been any record of finding an original photo of the school when it was built in 1920. But with this picture you are able to get an idea of the school houses layout. Credit: Thomas Hanchett
This is a photo of the two who started it all Julius Rosenwald and Booker T. Washington. Credit: Russell G. Brooker, PhD
Backstory and Context
The School was originally built in 1920 by a local Black carpenter. Julius Rosenwald and partner Booker T. Washington established a fundraiser program for all schools to be built for the less fortunate african american children who wanted to learn.
In the 1910s, Chicago philanthropist Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Co., became aware of the sad state of education among African Americans in the rural South. His response was establishment of a fund that provided architectural plans and matching grants that helped build more than 5,300 schools from Maryland to Texas between the late 1910s and 1932. (Brown)
It was a sixty foot, one story frame, two classroom school building with American craftsman style design elements and along with original pine floors that are still in the building today. They thought African American children should have a place to receive an education. With the program schools were built and funded by Rosenwald throughout the Southern United States. Children attended this school from 1921 till 1950 when the building was sold to the Barrington family. The children attended other schools in their district such as Central Elementary in Barco, and a few others. There was 81 students enrolled during the 1940 and 1941 school year. North Carolina alone had a round about 813 schools sadly many have been demolished.