Albert Willcoxon and his wife, Mary, were staunch secession supporters at the outset of the Civil War. They supported Confederate troops early on by selling soldiers large quantities of supplies, such as beef, blacksmith supplies, hay, horses, and pork. As the Willcoxon property was often presented on Civil War maps, and with the growing strength of Union troops in the area, the Willcoxons left their home somewhere around November 1862. Moreover, the Willcoxon farm was at the center of wartime activity, and the home was fully occupied by Union soldiers after the Willcoxons abandoned the property. Army records and extensive graffiti on the home’s walls show that it served as a Union hospital. During the Civil War, writing and drawing on the walls of abandoned homes was quite common, and on the attic wall alone at the Willcoxon home, there are over 90 names, units, dates, poems, and art. At least 15 military regiments are represented on the walls.
The Willcoxon home stayed with the family following the war until the City of Fairfax bought the property in 1999. The family cemetery next to the home includes four generations of the Willcoxon family. Today, the Civil War Interpretive Center, located next to the Blenheim house, further interprets this site’s history as well as the Civil War in the Fairfax area. The Blenheim house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.1