This local history museum is located in a historic mansion and features artifacts and furniture from the antebellum era. Charles Bland originally constructed Blandwood Mansion in 1795. The residence was home to North Carolina Governor John Motley Morehead. During the Civil War, the mansion served as a headquarters for both Confederate and Union Generals. The mansion's place in history was sealed on March 2, 1865, when rebel Governor Zebulon B. Vance surrendered to Union Generals Jon Schofield and Jacob Dolson Cox in the main parlor.
The Blandwood Mansion was originally constructed in 1795 by
Charles Bland.1 The residence then became home to North Carolina Governor John
Motley Morehead. This farmhouse was transformed into an Italianate wonder in
1844 when A.J. Davis designed an addition.
The house served as quarters for Confederate General P.G.T.
Beauregard during the Civil War. After the Confederacy fell, the house was
temporarily used as headquarters for Union Generals Jacob Dolson Cox and John
Schofield. On May 2, 1865, North
Carolina Governor Zebulon B. Vance surrendered to Cox and Schofield in the
Blandwood Mansion’s main parlor.2
The Blandwood Mansion was named a National Historic Landmark
in 1988. Today it operates as a museum. While visiting the mansion, visitors
can see 19th century art, architecture, furnishings, and landscapes.3