Clio Logo

This historic Beaux-Arts style office building was completed between 1919 and 1922 for the Standard Oil Company.The steel-framed and limestone-clad skyscraper opened to great acclaim, with thousands celebrating the completion of the structure which reportedly cost over $1.5 million. The building's main lobby includes bronze doors and a marble interior, as well as a decorative drop-ceiling that was added in the 1950. The building was converted from office space to apartments and condos between the year 2000, when it was placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings, and 2002, when the building reopened.


  • Claude Fritz designed this office building for Standard Oil.

Standard Oil was formed by John D. Rockefeller in 1870. The company grew by acquiring a majority share of other oil and gas companies, a strategy that allowed Standard Oil to grow across state lines and control the oil industry without explicitly violating state and federal anti-trust laws. 

Scott Calvert, Old Standard Oil Building gets apartment makeover, Baltimore Sun, October 17, 2002. Registration form, Nomination for National Register of Historic Places, https://mht.maryland.gov/secure/medusa/PDF/NR_PDFs/NR-1255.pdf