Clio Logo

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Goodwin Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church dates back to the early 19th century when African American families hosted services in their homes. In 1868, the congregation began meeting at a chapel at Amherst College. The black members of the congregation formed their own independent church in 1907 and built this chapel three years later.


  • This building was dedicated on July 10th, 1910, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Springfield Daily Republican, August 2 1906. Ten members of Zion Chapel announce their intentions to form an independent church. Clipping from UMass Amherst Public History website.
Goodwin's History, A website maintained by the Public History program at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst https://goodwinmemorialchurch.wordpress.com/about/ accessed 3/3/16