The Hoboken Fire Department Museum is located in a former firehouse built around 1870. Its official name was the Association of Exempt Firemen Building. Exempt firemen consisted of a group of men who supported Hoboken's volunteer firefighters. The museum contains firefighting equipment, an antique fire truck and various other items. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. It was designed by Francis George Himpler in the Italianate and Second Empire styles.