In 1902, after the Spanish-American war was over, the fort was seized by United States Naval Forces in a war game between the United States Army and the United States Navy. In 1928 the fort was abandoned due to rising seas and the War Department used the area as a range for submarines as well as pilots and bombardiers.
The batteries of this fort held 8 inch guns that could battle the 8 guns of cruisers and battleships. Throughout World War II the fort was used for target practice, both from submarines and aircrafts. Today Fort Tyler is known as The Ruins due to this bombardment and their are no tours of this historic sight.