The Hiram Blauvelt Art Museum is one of only five museums dedicated exclusively to wildlife art. Opened in 1957, the museum is named after hunter, philanthropist, and wildlife conservationist Hiram Blauvelt (1897-1957), whose family operated a successful coal and lumber business. The museum continues Hiram's belief in wildlife conservation through its art exhibitions and various education programs and events it holds during the year. The museum is located in a carriage house built in 1897 for Kimball Chase Atwood (he also built a mansion). Chase sold the property to Hiram's father, Elmer, in 1926.