Clio Logo
The Society was organized in 1987 as a non-profit volunteer group committed to the preservation of historical documents, photographs, and buildings in Monte Vista and surrounding areas. Fifteen Monte Vista buildings have been placed on the National and State Register of Historic Places through its efforts. A collection of over 4,000+ photographs (indexed) and articles, history reference books, and memorabilia are available to the public.

  • Monte Vista Historical Society
  • Monte Vista Historical Society display
Its beginnings go back to 1881, when the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad placed a railroad siding named Lariat at a site by the present Fullenwider Park. This siding, with a switch, water tank and section house, was to serve the early settlers from Swede Lane and Rock Creek.

At this time a young widow, Lillian L. Taylor brought her two children to Monte Vista along with her box of goods for the mercantile. 

By the time of incorporation on July 3, 1886, the town site was re-platted and renamed for the mountain vistas surrounding it -- Monte Vista