This three story, cut stone structure is the oldest and longest - with a 75 foot front - of the three remaining buildings that make up Thurmond's Commercial Row. The historic storefronts are framed with a cast iron column and beam system and a tulip motif decorates the column capitals. Constructed in 1901, the building housed at various times the Standard Dry Goods Company, the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Exchange Company, the offices of Dr. C. F. Ridge, and a Greek restaurant. The building’s two upper levels have also been used as apartments. The southern portion of the structure has caved in and only the exterior walls remain. The northern portion, accessible by a side stairway in the adjacent National Bank of Thurmond, was rehabilitated prior to the building’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The property is now under the stewardship of the National Park Service, and houses an interpretive display on the history of Thurmond.
Harper, R Eugene. Thurmond Historic District, National Register of Historic Places. September 15th 1983. Accessed April 28th 2021. http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/fayette/84003520.pdf.
National Park Service. “Thurmond Historic Structures Assessment New River Gorge National River West Virginia.” Accessed April 28th 2021. http://www.quid-tum.com/documents/thurmond_assessment_report.pdf.
Thurmond Walking Tour, National Park Service. January 6th 2020. Accessed April 28th 2021. https://www.nps.gov/neri/learn/historyculture/thurmond-walking-tour.htm.