Gorgas House Museum
The Gorgas House was built in 1829 and predates the establishment of the University of Alabama. The house is the oldest building on the campus and is used as a museum. During the early years of the campus, the house was used to house visitors and as a dining hall for students. It was later converted into a residence hall. University President and former Confederate General Josiah Gorgas occupied the home during his time at the University from 1879 to 1883. Gorgas' descendants lived at the home until 1953. In 1954, the state legislature declared that the historic home would serve as a memorial to the Gorgas family and the museum serves as the anchor of the central campus' historic district.
Backstory and Context