Lake Academy/ Colored School Number 1 (1897-1918)
The first publicly-supported school for African American children in Palm Beach was built at this location in 1897. Originally named "Colored School No. 1," it was later known as the Lake Academy when it expanded to offer classes for grades 1-10. After a second school for African American children opened in the early 1900s, the school became known as West Palm Beach Colored School. As the county grew, and as more black children attended school, the county began replacing these early wooden schools with more permanent structures. This schoolhouse was sold in 1918 and served as a home for several years prior to its demolition.
Backstory and Context