Cherokee County Courthouse (Cherokee County History Museum and Visitors Center)
Built in 1927, replacing the previous courthouse that burned down, the Cherokee County Courthouse is a striking Classical Revival style building and is one of the few structures in Georgia built with native marble. It has been the home of the Cherokee County History Museum and Visitors Center since 2011. The museum chronicles the history of the county from its founding to today, displaying artifacts and histories of Native Americans, early European settlers, and more recent residents. Also in the building is the society's archives, which contains 86,000 items, ranging from various artifacts such as farming tools to.
Backstory and Context
It is not clear when the courthouse stopped functioning as such but the jail on the fourth floor was used until 1989. The building was renovated in 1997 and the courtroom is often used for special events.
http://www.rockbarn.org/national-register-of-historic-places/historic-courthouse http://www.rockbarn.org/museum Kenneth H. Thomas, Jr. "Cherokee County History Museum and Visitors Center," National Register of Historic Places. 5-28-81.