Washington County Museum
The Washington County Museum features artifacts and other items depicting the history of Washington County, which was the first county to be established in Alabama (June, 1800). The building was the county's courthouse from 1854, when it was built, to 1907 at which point the county seat moved to Chatom. The building then became a masonic lodge and as such an important social gathering place. The masons used the building until around 2000, when the St. Stephen Historical Commission restored it and opened it as a museum. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.