The Atlas Building was designed by architect Frank Packard on behalf of Columbus Savings and Trust and completed in 1905. Like many other bank buildings at this time, the lobby was designed to emulate strength and stability with large terracotta columns, high ceilings, and ornate marble staircases. In 2013, the building was purchased for $2.5 million by a consortium of investors who announced plans to spend an additional $20 million to renovate the historic building and convert it into a luxury apartment building.
The groundbreaking ceremony for
the Columbus Savings and Trust Building was held in 1904. Construction was
completed a year later at a cost of $500,000. In 1913, the Depositors Realty Company
moved in after the Columbus Savings and Trust went out of business. The building
was renamed the Ferris Building in 1920 after being purchased by Warren B, Ferris.
Seven years later, Depositors Realty consolidated with Atlas Realty, and the edifice
became known as the Atlas Building.
During the 1970s, the Atlas
Building was sold to Brunner-Mackenbach and was added to the National Register
of Historic Places. In 1982, the building underwent a major renovation headed by
architect David Hughes. More recently, work was done on the structure to turn
it into an apartment building. The renovation involved restoring and
maintaining the white marble staircase and brass elevators.