New York businessman Henry W. Sage built and donated this structure in 1884 as a gift to the people of Bay City. Sage owned one of the largest saw mills along the Saginaw River. The building continues to operate as a library, one of several branch libraries of the Bay County Library System. When the library opened in the 19th century, its first floor was used as a schoolroom and the meeting place of several literary and debating societies. The second floor was a reading room. The building is located on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context