Clio Logo

This historical marker, erected in 1989, tells the story of Sugar Loaf Bluff which provided the limestone that built many of the sidewalks and buildings in Winona.The dome rises 450 feet and was once more round prior to the quarrying of the limestone bluff. With its round shape capped by evergreen, early explorers believed it resembled the red cap of Dakota leader Chief Wabasha.The bluff now has a more square-appearance, the result of John and Stephen O'Dea's quarrying operations that occurred during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.


  • This historic marker is located in the shadow of Sugar Loaf Bluff.
  • Sugar Loaf Bluff
  • A historic photo of Sugar Loaf in 1898 shows the effect of quarrying operations in giving the bluff its square appearance.