Built in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration (one of the New Deal programs created by the federal government to put people to work), the Mort Glosser Amphitheater is a 1,600 seat outdoor theater designed by Paul Hofferbert. It is still used to today for concerts, plays, and other events. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The American Legion owned the amphitheater and held meetings there in the attached clubhouse. During WWII, the amphitheater became a USO (United Service Organization) center, proving entertainment for service members from the nearby Camp Sibert. Afterwards, boxing matches, concerts, political rallies, plays and other events began to be held at the theater. These events continued until the 1970s when the structure itself began to show signs of age. Some restoration work occurred in 1979 and once again in the mid 1980s after the City of Gadsden bought the amphitheater.