The Penland Post Office
Backstory and Context
On July 7, 1891, the location was changed to a place then known as Henline Hill, a mile east. On the 27th, Charles Sparks became postmaster. On Nov 5, 1900, the site was moved still another mile east and on the 16th, his wife Nancy succeeded him. he sixth postmaster was James Hoilman as of October 2, 1902. On Sept. 5 of that year the post office was moved, for the fourth time, to the community then known as Bailey Station on the north side of the railroad right of way and served 800 customers. This relocation changed the name of the town to Penland, where the post office is located today.
On January 22, 1908, Burges Bailey became the seventh postmaster. He was a relation of the Deer Park Baileys. Baileys Peak, which can be seen from the front post office window was named for his grandfather, John Bailey.
Many potmasters have served the Panland Post Office over the years. The current postmaster, Rebecca Davis, was selected as postmaster December 27, 1980 and serves today. Davis, a native of Penland, is the great, great granddaughter of Harriet Hensley, the second postmaster of Penland. Much of the equipment and many of the postal boxes retained from the 1879 office are still in use. Original double doors with top glass panels, two-over- two sash windows and freight doors remain. Around 1934 a shed roof addition was built above front and south elevations. Inside unpainted walls of wormy chestnut, covering the entire building, are still visible. Until the 1970s, the building was a combination general store and post office.