Olde Main Street Museum and Temperance Tavern Museum
1840 era tavern built along the once Ohio and Erie Canal. This authentic tavern and inn was a resting place on the Ohio and Erie Canal. It was crafted from local Black walnut in 1841
Located inside a 1915 building once home to Lell Shumaker's Ford dealership and the Herco factory, the Olde Main Street Museum and Social Center offers a replica of an early 1900s village.
Backstory and Context
The son of Professor "Pop" Hayes, the local superintendent of schools, Wayne Woodrow Hayes, better known as Woody Hayes, was born on February 14, 1913, in Clifton, Ohio. He grew up here in Newcomerstown, and was graduated from the local high school in 1931, and from Denison University in 1935. Upon graduating, he coached football at Mingo Junction High School, and at New Philadelphia High School, both in Ohio. With the outbreak of World War II, he joined the United States Navy, rising to the rank of lieutenant commander. Woody is best known for being the "winningest" coach at the Ohio State University, where he was noted for his "three yards and a cloud of dust" strategy. Don't miss the Woody Hayes room in the Temperance Tavern Museum.