The Piney Point Light House was built in 1836 and deactivated in 1964. With a height of 35 feet and a range of 10 and later 11 nautical miles, it helped guide vessels sailing on the Potomac River. Today it is a museum and visitors are allowed to climb to the top of the tower. It features exhibits about the lighthouse itself, the Piney Point area, and the German Black Panther U-Boat 1105 which was sunk in the river during WWII (it is now a shipwreck dive preserve). The museum also features the Potomac River Maritime Exhibit which has four historic wooden vessels and provides information about the lives of those who made a living on the river. The lighthouse was deeded to the county in 1980 and it was renovated in the 1990s. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1976.