Grand Rapids Public Museum
The Public Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan was founded by a group of civic leaders in 1854 as the Grand Rapids Lyceum of Natural History and in 1868 merged with the Grand Rapids Scientific Club to form the Kent Scientific Institute and Museum. Over the next century, the Museum established itself as a premier educational institution in the area and continues in to fulfill this role for West Michigan today. Highlights of the museum include a planetarium, a 1928 Spillman Carousel and a 1928 Wurlitzer Organ.
Backstory and Context