23 Wall Street, also known as The Corner, is an office building situated in Manhattan's Financial District at the intersection of Wall Street and Broad Street. The structure was designed by the architectural firm of Trowbridge and Livingston. Completed in 1914 as the headquarters for the J.P. Morgan and Co., the four-story bank still stands today, although scarred by small pockmarks from the infamous anarchist’s bomb attack that killed 38.
Known simply as 23 Wall Street, the buildings on the corner of
Wall and Broad Street have represented the epicenter of American capitalism for
over a century. The headquarters of J.P. Morgan and Co., originally Drexel,
Morgan & Co., have been located here since its founding in 1873. Finished
in 1914, the four-story bank still stands today, although scarred by small pockmarks
from the infamous anarchist’s bomb attack that killed 38 people in 1920,
remembered as the Wall Street bombing.
On September 16, 1920, one
hundred pounds of dynamite were hidden in a horse-drawn carriage stopped just
across the street from the headquarters of the J.P. Morgan bank. The
dynamite caused a massive explosion that literally rocked Wall Street for
blocks in all directions.
Thirty-eight people were
killed, and more than four hundred were injured. In the aftermath of the
attack, no one claimed responsibility, and despite an investigation spanning
three years, the perpetrators were never found. It is now believed that the
Galleanists, a group of Italian anarchists, led by Mario Buda, an associate of
famous anarchists Sacco and Vanzetti were responsible. Until September 11,
2001, the Wall Street bombing was the deadliest terrorist attack in the history
of New York City. J. P. Morgan decided not to repair the damage, leaving
it as a symbolic gesture of strength overcoming destruction.