Statue in front of the tabernacle depicting the new First Presidency mapping out the encampments of the church in the area. L-R: Heber C. Kimball, Brigham Young and Willard Richards
Mural depicting he sustaining of Brigham Young as the new prophet and president of the church
Sign to entrance of tabernacle
Statue "The Family, an Everlasting Heritage"
A replica of a handcart used by Mormon Pioneers as they trekked west
"The Foreman". Statue honors the men that constructed the tabernacle during the winter
These plaques contains Jesus the Christ, the Family Proclamation and a revelation given to Brigham Young regarding the call to go west and how the Saints should conduct themselves.
Backstory and Context
"The Kanesville Tabernacle was where Brigham Young was sustained as the second President and Prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The tabernacle was constructed for the purpose of housing as many people as possible for a conference in December 1847 to reorganize the First Presidency of the Church. The conference was postponed so that a building large enough could be constructed.
The tabernacle, constructed in three weeks with the help of 200 men, was believed to be the largest log structure in the world.1After its completion, the First Presidency was reorganized, and on December 27, 1847, with over 1,000 people in attendance, Brigham Young was sustained as President and Prophet of the Church. Also, on October 21,1848, upon his return to the Church, Oliver Cowdery spoke to a large number of people gathered at a conference in the tabernacle; he “bore a strong testimony to the authenticity of the Book of Mormon, and declared that an angel conferred the Priesthood on Joseph Smith and himself.”2
The original tabernacle was dismantled in 1849 because of damage by the spring runoffs; the current structure is a replica. President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the rebuilt Kanesville Tabernacle on July 13, 1996. It now serves as a visitors’ center for people to learn about the Saints migration west to the Salt Lake Valley."