Peter Whitmer Sr. Log Cabin-Site of the organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Peter Whitmer Sr. log cabin as it looks today (replica)
Interior of cabin
Sign by Visitors Center
late 19th century photo of Seneca Lake. This side of lake is where the baptisms are believed to have taken place.
Three Witness: (L-R) Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer and Martin Harris
Painting of Joseph Smith Jr. with the Eight Witness (in no order): Christian Whitmer Jacob Whitmer Peter Whitmer, Jun. John Whitmer Hiram Page Joseph Smith, Sen. Hyrum Smith Samuel H. Smith
Painting depicting Joseph Smith Jr. leading in the formal organization of the church
Painting depicting the Angel Moroni appearing and showing the gold plates to the Three Witnesses
Backstory and Context
This farm was the location of many pivotal moments in the early years and growth of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Members of the church believe that Joseph Smith translated the original gold plates that form the basis of the Book of Mormon at this location. The farmhouse was later the site where the founders formally organized the church as a legal entity. The first six members of the church were Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, Hyrum Smith, Peter Whitmer, Jr., Samuel H. Smith, and David Whitmer.
In 1926, LDS church member B. H. Roberts purchased this land so that the church could own the site where it was organized. The former farmhouse was no longer standing, and in 1979, the church constructed this replica cabin and made this a place for church members and visitors to learn about the history of Joseph Smith and the formation of the LDS church. The site was dedicated by LDS President Spencer W. Kimball April 6, 1980.