The Lake Placid-North Elba Historical Society was founded in 1947 the help preserve the history of Lake Placid and North Elba. It features exhibits that depict early village life, a general store, and a post office. The museum also has a significant photography collection, the Barry Collection, which is comprised of 10,000 glass plate negatives of pictures taken before the 1930s. This collection was saved from the dump in 1970. The society is housed in a historic train station built by the Penn Central Railroad Corporation, which the society purchased in 1967.