The LDS temple in Idaho Falls was announced on March 3, 1937. The building was designed by the church board of temple architects; Edward O. Anderson, Georgious Y. Cannon, Ramm Hansen, John Fetzer, Hyrum Pope, Lorenzo Snow Young. The exterior of the temple was completed in September 1941 and the interior was expected to be completed the following year. However, with World War II shortages, it delayed the completion of the temple for four more years. In spite of delays, LDS Church President George Albert Smith dedicated the Idaho Falls Temple just one month after the war ended, on September 23, 1945. The temple was built on a 7-acre plot, has 4 ordinance rooms and 9 sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of 92,177 square feet.
The name of the temple was changed from the Idaho Falls Temple to the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple in 1999 when the church introduced standardized naming conventions for temples worldwide.1
One of the temple's most prominent presidents was John Groberg (served as temple president 2005-2008). His family was instrumental in helping the church acquire land for the temple, prominent in the city and various relatives served in the temple in various capacities. Groberg's experiences as the LDS church's first missionary in Tonga was made into a book Other Side of Heaven and made into a movie in 2001 of the same title starring Christopher Gorham and Anne Hathaway.