Cannonsburgh (the original name of Murfreesboro) Village is a recreated mid-18th century and early 20th century village and living museum. The village is home to over a dozen historical buildings, most of which were purchased and relocated to Murfreesboro from various locations within Tennessee. All the buildings display period furnishings and artifacts in an authentic manner. The village and docents do an admirable job conveying and describing what life was like in a small turn of the century Tennessee town.
Backstory and Context
Construction began on Cannonsburgh Village in 1974 and it was completed in 1976, just in time for the country’s bicentennial celebrations. One enters the village over a vintage iron bridge, complete with toll gate. Its collection of historical buildings include a gristmill with working water wheel, the Leeman House, the Wedding Chapel, town hall, doctor’s office, general store, and the Anderson Blacksmith’s Shop which is still operational and offers smithing classes. The village is also home to what is claimed to be the world’s largest cedar bucket.
Other attractions at the village include the C. N. Haynes Museum which houses antique farm equipment and other 18th century artifacts and the Murfreesboro Art League’s gallery. The Stone’s River Car Club also has its headquarters at the village in the form of a reconstructed 1920s gas station and garage. This garage contains an original 1934 Model A 2 door, various vintage gas pumps and dozens of historical vehicle tags from Tennessee and around the globe.
Admission to the village is free for self-guided tours and guided tours are available for a nominal fee. The Chapel and grounds are also available for weddings, picnics, and corporate or other themed events. Finally, Cannonsburgh Village annually hosts Pioneer Days in April and Harvest Days in October.