In Tucson, specifically in Fort (Presidio) Tucson, 200 men of the local Mexican forces commanded by Antonio Comaduron, decided to abandon the town rather than fight, since they were outnumbered. The Presidio and town had been in existence since 1776. They fled with some locals they persuaded to leave by saying the American forces would destroy the town and kill the people. As the Battalion entered the town and captured the fort with no resistance, they had to persuade the people that they meant no harm. Later that day, the American flag was raised in the grounds of the Presidio by Christopher Layton and Jefferson Hunt.
During the occupation, the Battalion traded clothes, buttons and pins for food. The only gunfire to take place occurred a few days after the capture when local Mexican civilians were coming into town at night and mistaken for Mexican soldiers. No one was hit. Other Mexican forces around Tucson were also driven off by the Battalion.
The Battalion left Tucson for California after a couple of days. The town was recaptured by Mexican forces, only to be abandoned again by them before the war's end.
In 1993, the LDS church erected a monument on the grounds of the former Presidio, which are now the grounds of the County Courthouse and it was dedicated. The monument depicts Layton and Hunt raising the flag while also trading with local Teodoro Ramirez.
As the Battalion marched from Santa Fe, New Mexico to San Diego, their route would later be used by many pioneers during the latter half of the 19th century and helped in the populating of New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California. Throughout their march, the Battalion members would carve out trails in rocky areas for wagons to go through.