Humpback Covered Bridge
This bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was elevated to the status of a National Historic Landmark in 2012. The bridge was used from 1857 to 1929 and is one of very few remaining covered bridges with a hump. The bridge replaced three previous wooden bridges that had deteriorated through erosion and the design of this bridge was intended to counter the effects of water erosion and wood rot by covering the bridge and adding an arch so that water would never pool in the center of the bridge.
Backstory and Context
The first bridge built at this location was completed in the 1820s and used until it was destroyed by a flood in 1837. The second bridge built in 1838 was also destroyed by a flood in 1842. Then a third bridge fell in 1856 due to heavy use and erosion.