The original city hall from pre-Revolutionary War times stood at this location. It was the site of the famous trial of John Peter Zenger. In 1765, it was where the Stamp Act Congress took place, with delegates from different colonies protesting their dissatisfaction of taxation without representation. After the Revolutionary War, it was here that George Washington was inaugurated, and also where the Bill of Rights was passed.
The building was demolished in 1812, and rebuilt in the Greek-revival style. The building was used as a U.S. custom house, New York sub-Treasury, and finally the memorial that we now see today.
The present day Federal Hall stands in the same location as the original City Hall that existed during colonial times. It was in that building where printer and journalist John Peter Zenger was tried for libel in 1733, after publishing views that criticized the royal governor. However, when Zenger's lawyer argued that the truth is a defense against libel, the jury decided that Zenger was, in fact, not guilty. This event would further help the people's case for liberty and freedom. In 1765, the Stamp Act Congress took place in the City Hall. It was here where the delegates from the colonies protested their dissatisfaction with taxation without representation. During this meeting, the Congress drafted the Declaration of Rights and Grievances. The document consisted of 13 points of the colonists' protests.This was a major historical event, since it was the first united action by the colonies. After the Revolutionary War, the nation searched for a location to establish a capital. New York City decided to hire architect Pierre L'Enfant to help remodel the old City Hall, and offered it to the national government. On April 30, 1789, at this location, George Washington took his first oath of office and was inaugurated as the first president of the United States. Federal Hall became home to the first Congress, Supreme Court, and Executive Branch offices. It was also where the Bill of Rights would be drafted, and eventually ratified. In 1812, the building was demolished when the capital was moved south to Washington, D.C. The remains were sold for scrap, for around $425. A new building was built in its place using a Greek-revival style. This is the building that we currently see today. From 1842-1862, it served as the U.S. custom house for the Port of New York. Then, from 1862-1920, it served as the New-York sub-Treasury, storing up to 80% of the nation's wealth until the Federal Reserve was built in 1914. In 1939 the Secretary of the Interior declared that the building was a National Historic Shrine, and in 1955 Congress renamed the building to Federal Hall, in honor of the previously existed building.