Clio Logo

This historic plantation home dates back to 1798 when George Carter inherited 3400 acres of land in Loudoun County. Carter built a plantation that prospered thanks to his management and the labor of a growing community of slaves. William and Edith Eustis purchased the property in 1903. Upon her death in 1964, Edith Eustis donated the property to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.


  • The Carter family sold the property to the founder of the Washington Post in 1897. The Eustis family acquired the estate six years later.
  • The plantation features expansive grounds and gardens. It's greenhouse was built in 1810, and may be the oldest in the South.