This is the boyhood home of the 18th President of the United States and Union Civil War commander Ulysses S. Grant. The home was built in 1823 by his father, Jesse Grant. Ulysses lived in this house until 1839, when he left for West Point. The site has been open to the public since 1982 after it was put on the National Register of Historic Historic Places.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. A year later, Georgetown artist John Ruthven purchased the house to prevent its demolition. Shortly after the purchase, the home was restored and became open to the public. In 2002, the Ruthven family donated the property to the State of Ohio. Today, the historic site is maintained by the Ohio History Connection, who completed a $1.4 million restoration of the home in 2013. Guests can tour the interior, which includes a room dedicated to local history and the early life of Ulysses S. Grant.
U.S. Grant Boyhood Home & Schoolhouse. Ohio History Connection. Accessed July 25, 2018. https://www.ohiohistory.org/visit/museum-and-site-locator/us-grant-boyhood-home-schoolhouse.