Lee County Black History Society (Williams Academy Museum)
The Lee County Black History Society is housed in the addition portion of what was the first government funded school for Black children: the Williams Academy school. That original school was built in 1913 and the addition in 1942. The society is dedicated to preserving and commemorating the cultural and educational contributions made by Blacks locally and nationally. Visitors to the society building, which is also a museum, will be able to see the disparity between white and Black education in the early 1940s.
The Lee County Black History Society
View inside the building